Toronto Marketo User Group Presentation
This presentation was initially delivered to the Toronto Marketo User Group in November 2015. You can read the summary of the presentation in this blog post then download the full SlideShare to see specific examples. The full presentation covers common problems organizations have with reporting, the type of reporting available, examples of reporting and a checklist of things which need to be in place to get the most out of Marketo reporting.
- What stops good reporting?
- Know What Reporting is Available and Where to Find It
- First Touch Attribution (FT) vs. Multi Touch Attribution (MT)
What Stops Good Reporting?
Marketo offers some strong insightful reports but very few organizations utilize them effectively. There are specific things you can do in Marketo to get better reporting but there are also some other challenges in the organization which must be overcome. Below are a few common problems
- Problem: Garbage IN= Garbage OUT
- Solution: Make sure all data is captured. Clean your data.
- Problem: Not sure what reports are available in Marketo
- Solution: Get Marketo training, read Product Docs, search the Community or use consulting services. Reach out to Macromator and we’ll be happy to help.
- Problem: Not enough time to build the reports
- Solution: Dedicate time and set the correct expectations with all stakeholders
- Problem: No processes in place to track the correct data
- Solution: Train everyone in the team to follow the process and understand where to get the data such as marketing campaign costs
- Problem: Not sure what is the best way to track costs
- Solution: Pick your attribution model and stick with it!!! Consistency is crucial!
- Problem: Lack of Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Solution: Decide what is important for you and how often you will monitor.
Know What Reporting is Available and Where to Find It
Once you graduate from basic Marketo reporting you can move on to use the Revenue Cycle Analytics (RCA) modules which include Opportunity Influence Analyzer, Program Analyzer and Revenue Cycle Explorer (RCE)
First Touch Attribution (FT) vs. Multi Touch Attribution (MT)
Understand the difference between these attribution models. First Touch Attribution (FT)
- Acquisition determines marketing influence. Program success is not necessary
- Only one program can get credit for acquiring the lead
- Acquisition must happen before opportunity created to get pipeline credit
- Acquisition must happen before opportunity closes to get revenue credit
Multi Touch Attribution (MT)
- Program Success determines marketing influence
- Multiple Programs can get credit for a single opportunity
- Success must happen before opportunity created to get pipeline credit
- Success must happen before opportunity closes to get revenue credit
Reporting Requirements Checklist
You must be familiar with and make sure you constantly practice the following in Marketo in order to get the most out of your reporting:
- Use Progression Statuses
- Use Local Assets to Programs
- Add Period Costs to Programs
- Use Custom Tags
- Use Interesting Moments
- Connect Contacts to Opportunities
- Synch Custom Fields to RCE
- Use Naming Convention
- Take a look at the full Marketo Toronto User Group presentation on Marketo reporting best practices at the SlideShare link below. The presentation covers all the checklist items which need to be in place for good reporting. Examples and screenshots are also provided for most common Marketo reports. To get the most out of your Marketo reports feel free to email us.